Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Advisors in support of the ORPP?

Notify me of new replies via email
Life Health Professional | 04 Dec 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
It’s a contrarian view to say the least, but a veteran advisor says the government is doing right in pushing on with the controversial pension plan
  • Brett | 04 Dec 2015, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    Why should business finance people who have bad savings habits? Get the Government in there wisdom etc TEACH finance, budgeting etc at the school level. I can tell you from 35 years in the business, there is no point teaching the avergae person NOW, they really do not care.
  • mark | 05 Dec 2015, 06:56 PM Agree 0
    It might work better as an employee funded plan with a requirement that all of the money collected be invested and none spent on government projects.
    Wynn says she is going to run it similar to CPP and use the money for "infrastructure". CPP is only 20% funded and is in essence a large government sponsored Ponzi scheme. Another government building or bridge is not going to earn any money. I can see them setting up monopolies and selling them off like the 407. This is just selling off the future due to their inability to manage anything.
    Adding more costs to hiring someone is not good for employment. Add this to having one of the highest tax rates in the world for the people who make decisions on where to put their companies does not work well for the economy.
  • John Kehoe | 07 Dec 2015, 01:50 PM Agree 0
    @Brett - I agree 100%, but it takes a long time, a major shift in our culture and political will to educate people - far longer than a typical electoral cycle, so far less expedient for political leaders to worry about. Having said that, the federal Financial Literacy Task Force issued a number of positive recommendations to address this, including having financial literacy components mandated in public and post-secondary course curricula, and I can tell you that in it's actually happening at least to some degree in Ontario, so we are moving (slowly) in the right direction.
Post a reply