Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Dementia patients refused advanced right-to-die directives

Notify me of new replies via email
Life Health Professional | 15 Jun 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
The Senate has shut down a proposal that would allow dementia patients to issue advance directives on assisted death
  • Bill | 15 Jun 2016, 03:30 PM Agree 0
    Again, the majority of our "cool second deliberators" have done the wrong thing.
    If the balance of my mind is altered by dementia how can I write a directive and articulate that I want that directive to occur.
    If I write an advance directive while my mind is sound it has no weight.
    What monolithic stupidity. There is no way a dementia sufferer can take "advantage" of this thin new law.
    There are far too many people looking out for me. I have seen the devistating effects of dementia and Alzheimer's disease first hand and the thought of me being stuck in such a horrible situation is sickening.
    Get off your collective butts and allow what needs to be allowed, sentient humans should be able to make all the decisions regarding their health, welfare and ultimately their death, particularly when the alternative may be years stuck in a semi death state caused by dementia.
Post a reply