Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Employer fights back against ORPP

Notify me of new replies via email
Life Health Professional | 02 Dec 2015, 08:15 AM Agree 0
It’s one outcomes few predicted, but one Ontario company is moving to offload costs associated with the provincial pension
  • paul | 02 Dec 2015, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    interesting how Wynn promised she would cancel the ORPP should the Federal Liberals get elected, I guess that was just another lie on her part.
  • Allan | 02 Dec 2015, 01:30 PM Agree 0
    The bigger issue for the Ontarian's ORPP is targeted at is their ability to live for today. Taking 2% out of their pay to provide enhanced retirement benefit is all well and good. It doesn't help the people earning the YMPE or below pay their current bills however.
  • Louisa | 02 Dec 2015, 05:20 PM Agree 0
    The ORPP will apply to those without a defined benefit pension plan or a sufficiently rich defined contribution pension plan. This means group RRSP's and most of the DC plans currently in place will be dissolved. Unless of course the employer can afford to carry both plans, I wonder how many employers are planning that? This transfers jobs from the private sector to the public sector. Personally I see so much wrong with this picture. At a point in time when the debt in Ontario exceeds our national debt per capita, we need a smaller, not bigger government. The costs involved to set up, implement and monitor this plan are huge. No problem we'll just add it to our debt. This absolutely makes no sense to me to put this burden on employers when our economy is failing. Why not implement something when the economy is growing? Why does the plan have to be a defined benefit plan? Make it simple. Keep the jobs and responsibility where it belongs with the private sector. Allow group RRSPs and DCs, and implement this when the economy is growing. Wynne is going to kill whatever is left of our fragile economy.
  • | 03 Dec 2015, 11:02 AM Agree 0
    Funny how times have changed, it used to be that Small Business was everyone's dream. Now it's to be a public servant with higher (ridiculous) wages, pension plans, retiring at 55, Union support no matter what, and all on the taxpayers backs. Let's just add another payment to the employer and employee so that welfare will truly look like a better option.
    Wynn is an idiot and must have failed in math and yet NO ONE IS SCREAMING. 37 Billion extra for electricity,. I guess keeping up the McGuinty tradition. She doesn't have the experience and credibility to run the Province of Ontario, how about a NON Confidence Vote or a Referendum.
Post a reply