Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Genetic test results to be kept private in Canada

Notify me of new replies via email
Paul Lucas | 18 Apr 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Senate passes bill which prevents insurance companies from gaining access to results of testing
  • Dave | 18 Apr 2016, 12:16 PM Agree 0
    If a person is tested and knows they are at a higher risk, then they may (WOULD) buy insurance because of that knowledge. Insurers should also have access to that knowledge as they would for any other test. It allows them to underwrite that risk appropriately, keeping prices fair.

If we are talking about insurers performing Genetic tests that the person did not request, then they should NOT be able to obtain them without the patients consent.
  • JD | 18 Apr 2016, 04:55 PM Agree 0
    Curious. The article doesn't say anything about the disclosures the applicants make when applying for insurance. Will they be permitted to ask if they are aware of any illnesses or diseases that they are at an increased risk of developing? One doesn't need to see a drivers' abstract to ask if they've had any at fault violations.

It is certainly a tricky situation - to know and possibly avoid an illness but risk not having insurance, or not having the test and going 'blind' out of a need for some potential financial certainty for their family. Both sides have perfectly compelling reasons to disclose or not disclose. This might be one of those "there are no right answer" situations. It sounds like we need a plan C.
  • | 19 Apr 2016, 10:17 AM Agree 0
    I had genetic testing for breast cancer which came back negative. I was warned when I took the test that it could affect the ability to buy life insurance. If someone had this hereditary gene and did not have to disclose it, it might give them reason to buy insurance that they otherwise might not have bought. This puts a hardship on the insurance company. If you made the choice to have the testing, I feel you should have to disclose this. I feel that the insurance company should not have the right to make you take the test if you haven't already done so.
  • | 19 Apr 2016, 10:34 AM Agree 0
    I think some circumstances should be taken in to account. For me personal, I'm adopted and have no blood relative medical records. I have no idea if what kind of medical background I'm at risk for, if any at all.
    Yet, I don't get tested because of insurance. Is if fair for me to be blind to what could be coming just so I don't take a risk at being denied insurance?
  • | 20 Apr 2016, 01:10 PM Agree 0
    Why not buy the insurance and get it inforce, then get the test, and then make a decision about keeping the insurance?

As well if blood and urine are collected as part of the underwriting process, the results of these tests may further inform you regarding what genetic bad guys you may want to be particularly interested in, in addition to whatever prompted you to have the genetic test in the first place.
  • M | 23 Apr 2016, 02:32 PM Agree 0
    Genetic testing does not mean you have the disease but you have more chance to have it. While taking the test and being aware of the risk, you are more carefully and you also finally have the option to have surgery in advance and take a step ahead to not be as much at risk. Genetic testing is not given to everyone and should be something offered to people in need to be able to take the next steps to prevent a disease. Even after being tested positive you can take so many steps that might prevent you to suffer from a strong disease even more than people tested negative. Canada is one of the only country providing the genetic testing information and most country did make this information private.
Post a reply