Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Huge scandal over doctors' pay

Notify me of new replies via email
Paul Lucas | 25 Apr 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Doctors and patients take to the streets of Ontario to campaign against spending cuts
  • | 25 Apr 2016, 10:56 AM Agree 0
    Where is the oversight on the 2% of doctors billing a large % of totals? Is the gov't not responsible for this overseeing of invoices to them????
  • | 25 Apr 2016, 11:57 AM Agree 0
    There are bad seeds in every profession, however, do we know that 2% of doctors billing 10% of overall is a bad thing? I know many people in the healthcare sector and most complain how inefficient it can be, is it possible that some of the doctors in the 2% have know how to be efficient and see more patients and still provide quality care? I would like to know that answer before I jump to conclusions.
  • | 25 Apr 2016, 12:54 PM Agree 0
    $6,600,000,000. into 365 days per year = $18,082,191. billed per day.
    How many patients are seen in that day and what is the hourly rate? If the hourly rate was $1,000. per hour, the number of patients seen, per day, if each spent an hour, would be 18,082.
    Or if the doctor/s saw up to 20 patients per day @ $1,000. per hour, this would mean that the total number of doctors for that one billing for that day would be 904.
    Alternatively if this is only one doctors billing, this amount @ 20 patients per day, would mean that doctor would be generating an hourly rate of $904,109.00.
    As taxpayers we paying these doctors and government employees who are overseeing these invoices. What is going on?????
    This deserves an inquiry, and investigation into the doctors of the 2% billings, and the government employees who oversee these invoices .
  • Bob Crichton | 25 Apr 2016, 01:05 PM Agree 0
    I think this author should check his math
  • | 25 Apr 2016, 01:06 PM Agree 0
    Correction to above comment, math is not correct.
    6,600,000. into 365 = $18,082. billed per day
    max hours per day estimated at 10 hours = $1,808. per hour. every day of the year.
    This is still a questionable amount and deserves to be questioned.
  • | 25 Apr 2016, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    I would like to see more transparency regarding billing for health services. I want to be invoiced, at least annually, with it marked "Paid" on my behalf by OHIP. As a lawyer, I write off time regularly to make sure charges fit the circumstances. Lawyers do this all the time. Having to bill a client directly, justify your charges and then collect makes a big different. If doctors had to bill people directly, and collect from them, the situation would be much different. Directly billing to OHIP dehumanizes the process and distorts the fact that ultimately individuals are paying - through taxes. When you have look a client in the eye and explain the value of your services, it's a totally different situation. Doctors would be writing off billings left and right just like lawyers. We need reform with respect to how doctors bill and are paid.
  • | 25 Apr 2016, 03:34 PM Agree 0
    Here in Northern Ontario some physicians are paid annually per active file. My doctor is part of this system. He has office hours for only 2 days a week and another physician in the same group has a nick name "Doc Holiday" as he is almost permanently away golfing! If I go to the drop in clinic I can catch my doctor double dipping over there! I would recommend he close his office permanently that way he can really put the boots to the taxpayer. Shame on the government for allowing such abuse by such greedy physicians they tarnish the profession and the majority of hard working doctors.

doctors
Post a reply