Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Sun Life rejects coverage for 9-year-old because of his ‘build’

Notify me of new replies via email
Ryan Smith | 10 Aug 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Sun Life Financial is coming under fire for rejecting coverage for a 9-year-old because of his ‘build’ – despite the fact that the family doctor says the boy is in good health
  • Mitch Reynolds | 10 Aug 2016, 02:24 PM Agree 0
    I'm a manager with Sun Life Financial in the Career Sales Force, and I have to deal with underwriting decisions that are not great all the time. Often, with the intervention of the advisor, we can have decisions reviewed with a senior underwriter when a less experience person has made a snap decision. Underwriting is both a science and an art. There is a story to be told, and the advisor writing the application should be able to present odd and unusual cases in a way that the underwriter can properly evaluate them.

It is odd that a 9 year old has grown so fast and is 5'2" and 135 lbs already. This seems very large for his age. I would think this child is well outside normal growth rates for an 9 year old boy. He doesn't seem too overweight, just very big for his age. This might have thrown off a less experienced underwriter. I believe we should have asked for a doctor's report immediately, even though this adds a large cost to underwriting the application. The client has lots of business with Sun Life and deserves our best effort.

Are all our decisions perfect and without error? No! But I don't think any company or business can boast that fact. Do we try to get things right and correct ourselves when we have made a mistake? Yes - I think we make every effort to do this when decision makers in the company are made aware of a mistake or a mishandled client. I've seen time after time the human touch that Sun Life has for it's clients, and how both the advisor and the head office representatives go above and beyond to serve them.

I hope this case works out for the benefit of the clients, and they keep their business with Sun Life. Maybe we deserve another chance to win their trust back.
  • | 22 Aug 2016, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    Sun Life all profit!!!

Come on guys, Clarica was better, you know it
  • | 22 Aug 2016, 12:04 PM Agree 0
    Sun Life all profit!!!

Come on guys, Clarica was better, you know it
Post a reply