Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tax on employee dental and health benefits being considered

Notify me of new replies via email
Leo Almazora | 07 Dec 2016, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Federal government stands to gain $2.9 billion in tax revenue
  • Bruce | 07 Dec 2016, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    the resulting drop in income to health care professionals, dentists and paramedics in particular, and thus the personal and/or corporate income tax they pay to the federal and provincial gov'ts, will far outweigh the increased tax revenue if health and dental is no longer tax free.
  • Ken MacCoy, CHS | 21 Dec 2016, 10:07 PM Agree 0
    While many employees with employer provided group health & dental insurance...may not not use the benefits and so do not appreciate what they have; those without benefits and have to pay out-of pocket....would love to be in their shoes.

My spouse and I have been lucky. We are generally very healthy. However, odds are we will face medical problems and costs as we age.

A tax swap MAY make sense if the revenues from taxing ALL workplace (including government employees & politicians) health & dental insurance plans is used for the benefit of all Canadians. i.e a refundable tax credit as suggested in the article.

However, if the revenue ends up in the 'general coffers' with no plan in place ... it will be just another tax grab that screws Canadians.
  • Tyler | 16 Jan 2017, 07:24 PM Agree 0
    I totally agree with Bruce. This would be a disaster for clinics. Many will be laid off. Revenue that practitioners pay taxes on will greatly decrease and thus taxes the Feds made off these people will drop.
Post a reply