Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Trudeau responds as workers' anger grows over Sears Canada bankruptcy

Notify me of new replies via email
David Keelaghan | 30 Oct 2017, 08:15 AM Agree 0
Retailer's insolvency means elimination of health benefits and reduced pensions for former employees
  • | 30 Oct 2017, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    Of course Morneau Shepell is getting their cut. Of course. It's all about the middle class, says Justin.
  • Ruth Larson | 01 Nov 2017, 11:21 PM Agree 0
    It is a shame and outrageous that workers who have been working and expecting a pension, suddenly are told that they have no pension. Imagine, you have worked at a company for years, you are now looking at the time in life where you have earned the right to retire when you will get a well-deserved pension. The ax falls and your pension is chopped even though there is money in the coffers. However, a worker is a mere commodity all of a sudden, not worth much, as far as the company is concerned. Pay the big guys and let the loyal workers sink, workers are no longer useful, let them go out into the jungle and fend for themselves. This is grossly unfair, pensions must be protected. Companies should take care of workers first since without workers there would be no company. Workers without a pension are left to social assistance or to the mere inadequate "Old Age Pension" that is NOT a living income. Let's pay close attention to what is going on here. Workers have always got the dirty end of the stick, so it goes on, even in today's modern world where we expect fairness and good sense to prevail. Workers United Will Never Be Defeated. The Struggle Continues.
  • Garth Taylor | 02 Nov 2017, 05:42 PM Agree 0
    Shameful that the management that lead the company to its sorry state get hefty retention bonuses to stay on but the workers that tried to keep the operations going are left to twist in the wind. And we all know that Trudeaus govt will study the p[problem but do nothing.
  • | 02 Nov 2017, 06:11 PM Agree 0
    THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!
  • Mary Robertson | 02 Nov 2017, 06:11 PM Agree 0
    THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!
  • Jo-Ann Musgreave | 02 Nov 2017, 07:15 PM Agree 0
    It is so unfair - imagine how our government leaders would feel if they lost their pensions - especially since they only have to work for a few years to qualify for pension. Most people who work in retail are not high earners but are hard workers who work nights weekends and on stat holidays. Employees who made retail a career and then to have their pensions - benefits taken away especially when bonuses are given to upper management. How fair is that? The federal government is always spending our money on making peace with criminals and also giving help to other countries and they forget the people in this country. I hope everyone remembers this when election time comes
  • P Hnnegan | 02 Nov 2017, 08:03 PM Agree 0
    Being a Sears retiree and watching intently how this government has stalled the process of "winding up the plan" as requested by our retirees group, disapponting would be an understatement. What we needed was protection as the company was being looted over the past 12 years by an aggressive hedge fund (USA) These practises were ignored as well leading to the sad state we find ourselves now. This was inevitable and is now too little too late. Liberal and Conservative promises over the years were hollow and still are.
  • Jennifer | 03 Nov 2017, 12:21 AM Agree 0
    Gotta love it when MP's & MPP's with their gold plated pension plans, paid for by the tax payer, get to decide on letting peons keep a pension they've worked for their whole life (the fox is guarding the hen house). Bev Oda (former Conservative MP), in my riding, will collect $700,000 by age 80, only contributing $130,000 personally (after MP duties for 8 years), and left in disgrace. WTF so wrong. They steal from us and still collect $$.
    Now it seems that Justin, who's happy to give away our tax dollars to anyone and everyone new to the country, does not care about the old folks who have supported this country for eons and are entitled to their pensions. He wants to 'study' it more...what's there to study? What the companies are doing is either ethical or it's not and no blurred lines here. Why does the buck always stop at the peon employee? My MP, Erin O'Toole did not even have the courtesy to attend the meeting, and I sent the CARP note/invite to him to do so. We have to get rid of 'leadership who prey on the the disenfranchised' once and for all.
  • Lydia Ross | 03 Nov 2017, 08:12 AM Agree 0
    This is not the first company to go bankrupt in Canada and pay their management hefty severance packages. Companies that went belly up under previous governments have had "studies" done and done absolutely frig all for the pensioner and workers who are left relying on their savings and CPP and a reduced if any company pension. And we all know how the Conservative government under Stephen Harper was anti -labour. Enough with the studies and BS commissions! Put legislation on the table to protect workers pensions and benefits. Force private companies to pay premiums that match those of employees into a private government fund which will ensure that when these employees retire their benefits are available. I am rather disappointed no MP from New Brunswick and few from Newfoundland and Labrador, PEI and Nova Scotia saw fit to attend the CARP meeting. Our major population are seniors. But they'll be clogging the mailbox with posters and pamphlets to get my vote. They'll also knock on my door come election time. Pat Finnigan better not be counting on my vote!!!!!
  • Bob S | 03 Nov 2017, 10:59 AM Agree 0
    The only way to ensure that workers get the pensions and benefits that they have been promised is to change the regulations. All PUBLICLY traded companies should be required to set aside ALL pension liabilities in the year in which they occur. This would be required prior to any profit share payouts . Pension should be mandatory and the costs set aside on an annual basis. Publicly traded company pay out millions to shareholder annually but it should not be on the backs of the workers. If these changes are regulated then situations like Sear, Nortel and others should be a thing of the past. Small business would have different regulations.
  • Jim | 03 Nov 2017, 01:49 PM Agree 0
    I wrote two letters to my local M.P. Kelly McCauley a few months ago expressing concern that pensioners get the short end of the stick when a company such as Sears goes under. I asked that he lobby the gvt in anticipation of getting legislation changed to protect pensioners.I did not get a response to first letter so followed up with another. He simply responded saying that there was nothing he could do but if I needed help to get O.A.S. or C.P.P., to contact him. I followed up stating that he missed the point of my concern asking again that he lobby the gvt to change legislation. Again, no response. He does not represent those who voted him in a very good manner in my opinion. It is nice to see that others within gvt are finally taking up the cause.
  • Jack Brill | 04 Nov 2017, 07:22 PM Agree 0
    I am disappointed in CARP for not holding Liberals accountable as per their written response to their pension questions provided prior to the 2015 election. Well I was disappointed that the Conservatives did not respond to the questions at least they didn't lie to us like the Liberals. I would rather be disappointed in the answer than lied to. Why did CARP not demand that the Liberals fulfill their promise as stated in their answers to the published questions???
  • Keith | 05 Nov 2017, 07:17 PM Agree 0
    I lieu of higher wages, many of us took less wages and a pension. In hindsight, I guess you should take the highest wages that you can get and look after your own pension. You obviously can't trust your company to look after you and I doubt that counting on the government will be any better.
  • Karen Ciotti | 06 Nov 2017, 07:03 PM Agree 0
    DISGUSTING! I will not go to Sears in Barrie or Owen Sound. I don't care how much money I can save on their Sales.
    Sears was part of my childhood. What a way for me at age 70 to feel such disgust.
  • Joyce | 07 Nov 2017, 04:26 PM Agree 0
    I also am a retiree and lost medical plus my life insurance policy from Sears and now waiting to see how much of my pension I lose...and. Talk about crooked myself plus many others bought insurance for there sears goods and they have all that money and the customer has no coverage, I call that stealing. I will not buy at Sears no matter how big the sale. The government let me down and so did Sears........

• keith | 11 Nov 2017, 01:45 PM Agree 0
    Re the Sears situation, in my particular case as needed as the pension is, it is the medical coverage that is the biggest loss. Trying to get at age 74 equal coverage to what we had at Sears is beyond our budget as is any replacement life ins policy (a 10yr term is all that is available and very expensive) With the governments set up for paying seniors supplements, nothing would be received until well after tax returns are filed and processed which maybe would not be until late 2018.. the PM talks often about the middle class!!! what about the seniors who have worked hard and paid for benefits which have now been taken from us by a greedy owner!!! IT WOULD SEEM THAT ONLY NEW BRUNSWICK AND NEWFOUNDLAND WERE NOT AT THE CARP MEETING...(they are not on the list as being there).SHAME SHAME SHAME this will be remembered at the next general election!!!!
  • Garry Scarr | 11 Nov 2017, 08:55 PM Agree 0
    The only way politicians attention is through votes , every voter over fifty should have their pension as a priority at the next election, Federal and Provincial. All pension plans should be 100% funded by law, although there is some legislation in this regards there is a vast number of companies with underfunded pensions , a pensioner should not have to worry if his pension is going to be cut back if his company goes out of business. Also when a company goes bankrupt, first payment should be wages owed then locking in the existing pension payments for all retirees. I would vote for any party willing to legislate these changes. The number of people over 50 have enough strength in numbers to make this happen if they stand together and I believe CARP is the best vehicle to deliver the message.
Post a reply