Life Health Professional forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Supreme Court makes assisted suicide decision

Notify me of new replies via email
Life Health Professional | 06 Feb 2015, 10:01 AM Agree 0
The Supreme Court of Canada’s landmark decision will affect long term care costs.
  • Freeda | 06 Feb 2015, 10:37 AM Agree 0
    Every one of these doctor assisted suicides MUST only be done after the person wanting the "doctor assisted suicide" go to court and apply for it. There need to be a judgement on a case by case basis.

I thank the Supreme Court for making this decision, it is long overdue. Now lets iron out the wrinkles, before moving forward. Case by case.
  • Lynn Whetham | 06 Feb 2015, 10:38 AM Agree 0
    This article makes it sound like the decision has been and should be made in consideration of the cost of keeping people alive. The issue is that a person should have the right to control what happens to them and prolonging pain is not compassionate. This is a decision that should be based on compassion. I agree with the decision however if we are making our choices based on the financial considerations we really are opening things up to decisions being made for all the wrong reasons.
  • "Grateful" John | 06 Feb 2015, 10:46 AM Agree 0
    Finally! We live in a society where very few of us take full and personal responsibility for our own actions. And in some cases...even where we want to take responsibility the government will not allow us to. This is one area where they needed to step back and allow us to make the choice. It was a long time coming. I am relieved that it is here. I am living a healthy and wonderful life. I hope I do for many more years. But whenever or however my life comes to an end...I don't want to spend the last year of it suffering...with no solution or change in site...other than a slow and painful death. We deserve better than that. We deserve choice.
  • Reeder | 06 Feb 2015, 10:52 AM Agree 0
    If the gov't medical system can no longer afford to care for the terminally ill then is that not also an "assisted" termination of a life. In the end it should be about quality of life regardless of how it is managed. Finally some common sense trumps outdated religious beliefs.
  • Jo Anne | 06 Feb 2015, 10:54 AM Agree 0
    As a baby boomer myself, I am very pleased with this decision. However, before we all get too excited, note that the ruling has been suspended for a year to give the Feds. and provincial governments time to pass legislation around this. Will they end up taking longer than the year and bog things done with politics? The cynic in me says probably but I do hope the gov't has the compassion required to move this along.
  • Tammy | 06 Feb 2015, 10:57 AM Agree 0
    I too agree that the article makes the case based on financial reasons , not on the very basic right to make our own decisions about how we live and how we die. It is so excruciating painful to watch someone suffer as it is to see those around the patient suffer with them. This is the most compassionate, humane reason to agree with assisted suicide.
  • JT | 06 Feb 2015, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    This article makes it sound as though the decision is solely based on money, rather than for compassionate reasons! Surely there was more thought that went into the decision than just the bottom line!
  • Nick Kandiuk | 06 Feb 2015, 12:11 PM Agree 0
    Reading the various quotes in the story, you get the impression that health care dollars are the real issue here. That's rather strange because the justices made no mention of that in their decision. This is supposed to be about dying with dignity when faced with terminal suffering and hopefully not a grand scheme to reduce the ranks of seniors.
    Then why is everyone focusing on the dollars and cents? It could be that the next step will be to start a "counselling" programme to encourage the permanently sick to choose death? I have been to Auschwitz twice (after the war) and somehow when reading this story my mind took me back to that place and almost brought tears to my eyes.
  • Thom. Young | 06 Feb 2015, 01:29 PM Agree 0
    Anyone who has struggled through the last months, weeks and days in the care of a terminally ill loved one can attest to the total failure of the current system to meet the needs of the dying and the living through this challenge. Not so long ago we were watching the medical community argue with the legal experts on the provision of narcotics of the strength necessary to curtail the pain and suffering of the terminally ill. The failure to treat pain adequately because of misguided precepts was as disturbing as the failure to allow people to suffer against their will through the wasted weeks of palliative care. Laying in a medicated, vegetative state with extensive life support maintaining the functions of the body is not "living" by any sane definition. It is heartwarming to see this legal decision that allows us all to direct our end days in the manner in which we wish. There should be no need for any "case by case" assessments or any other bureaucratic interference in the process. The choice is between the patient and their Doctor and should be respected as the legal right now defined! This is 35 years too late for my father, a proud man who wasted away in the palliative care ward of a hospital pleading for an end to his suffering. Thank you learned Justices for recognizing this basic human right!
  • S. D. Hicks | 06 Feb 2015, 03:12 PM Agree 0
    It's a good move in the right direction. What I think would be a better move is to really look at prevention of disease and how we can bring this about perhaps by a different lifestyle diet as Wheat Belly and Grain Brain. Our private insurance companies have it all wrong, in my opinion. I have private insurance and am a senior but I am compelled to take $10,000 worth of prescription drug coverage. Hopefully I will not ever have to use that as I am on the Ontario Drug Benefit as a senior. However, where they are falling behind is not allowing more coverage for Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Acupuncture and the like, which actually help much more than taking a bunch of medications with a myriad of side effects. Yes some medications are necessary, but on the whole I think we are overmedicated. Case in point my husband and my mother. I saw them deteriorate over the years with one medication after another and only a few of them actually helped.
  • Victor | 09 Feb 2015, 01:04 PM Agree 0
    Regrettably, the article focused only on cost (and hence convenience) as if that were the most important issue at stake. When cost becomes the driving reason for making decisions anything becomes possible. I am not in favor of this decision as it takes the pressure off of looking at options like Hospice/Palliative Care. As an avid Hospice supporter I am aware of many individuals, who along with their supporters and families, have walked through their end of life journey in a very meaningful, compassionate and healing way.
Post a reply